Legends Live Forever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fans of The Legend of Prince Valiant & Robin Hood!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Medieval literature

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Donovan

Donovan

Male Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Medieval literature Empty
PostSubject: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 4:25 pm

Welcome fellow members of 'Legends live forever'

As a nice first topic i would dare ask all of you which piece of medieval literature you fancied the most?
And why?
Also i would take this opurtunity to ask you to quote here the most worthy utterances in these (or other) texts.

Untill a responce from you i aquire,
I will now quietly retire.

Greetings from Donovan Rex
Back to top Go down
JordanSkywalker
Admin
JordanSkywalker

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 4:58 pm

Hello Donovan! Very Happy

I have always been a fan of Gawain and The Green Knight. It's probably my top pick. In the tale, Sir Gawain accepts a challenge from a mysterious warrior who is completely green, from his clothes and hair to his beard and skin. The "Green Knight" offers to allow anyone to strike him with his axe if the challenger will take a return blow in a year and a day. Gawain accepts, and beheads him in one blow, only to have the Green Knight stand up, pick up his head, and remind Gawain to meet him at the appointed time. The story of Gawain's struggle to meet the appointment and his adventures along the way demonstrate the spirit of chivalry and loyalty.
Back to top Go down
https://legendsliveforever.forumotion.com
Donovan

Donovan

Male Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 5:24 pm

Hello Jordan,

I recently read the legend of sir gawain and the green knight as well.
It indeed is a wonderfull story, the ending is nicely found as well,
Though the green knight often changes apearances, it is a very intriguing story indeed.
Back to top Go down
UtherBendragon

UtherBendragon

Male Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 6:07 pm

I'm crazy about that book called: "The Dragon Slayers" by Bruce Coville, loved it since I was a kid.

*notices the thread is for medieval literature* Embarassed

Oh well, not exactly fine literature... In fact it's an all out cheesy comedy for kids. Still, I like it.... Ignore me. Carry on.

*slips into the shadows *
Back to top Go down
PrinceJason

PrinceJason

Male Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptyMon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 pm

Don't be ashamed Ben, I love "Dragon Slayers"! I even found an audio edition with music and a cast preforming it at my local library. I renewed it until I reached my renewal limit! Laughing

As for knightly tales {the real subject being discussed} I would choose T.H. White's version of the story. There's also a book called "Merlin's Mistake" that is worth reading. Strangely enough, it's aimed at kids like "Dragon Slayers". Who knows? Maybe I just identity with that level of reading. It fits in nice with the busy work week. Wink ~ Jason
Back to top Go down
JeffOfCamelot
Admin
JeffOfCamelot

Male Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:50 am

Howard Pyle's Men of Iron has long been a favorite read. Also Pyle's version of Arthurian Legend shouldn't be ignored. I enjoy the originality the author took in his retelling of well known folk lore. I feel he tried to make the heroes truly heroic, echos of this are seen in his The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, where he transformed many of Robin's questionable deeds into heroic feats.

Other favorites would be T.H White, and no Arthurian enthusiastic can ignore the early master Sir Thomas Malory, without whom we might not have such a vivid glowing account of King Arthur's Court.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Medieval literature   Medieval literature Empty

Back to top Go down

Medieval literature
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Legends Live Forever  :: Legends Live Forever :: Medieval Mania-
Jump to: