Fans of The Legend of Prince Valiant & Robin Hood!

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Merlin (2008) - BBC Series

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
JordanSkywalker
Admin

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:40 pm

I just found out the news of a new Arthurian based series hitting TV screens:

BBC One has revealed details of a new series of the early life of Merlin, the wizard featured in the legend of Kind Arthur and Camelot.

The corporation hopes that like Doctor Who and Robin Hood the new Saturday night show will encourage family viewing.

A small group of writers is adapting the story, which will focus less on the legend of Arthur and his Round Table, and more on magic.

BBC1 controller Peter Fincham revealed the series at launch of the channel's new 2008 winter schedule. The series, which is in the "very, very, very early stages of development" will not hit the small screen for at least another year.

Fincham said: "Three-generational television, television that you can watch with your parents and with your children - there's not enough of that about.

The show has been commissioned by Jane Tranter, and is being produced by independent Shine with BBC Wales.

Source, The Digital Spy.

cheers

Last edited by JordanSkywalker on Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://legendsliveforever.forumotion.com
CaliburnRider

Male Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Woo-hoo! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy cheers cheers cheers About time somebody made a new version of Camelot!! Yessssssssssssssssssssssss! bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirVancelot

Male Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:48 pm

Shocked

King Arthur! Knights of The Round Table! Camelot! A soul out there still cares enough to try and achieve the impossible and make a decent version that does the old legends justice with a grand budget production ........... * faints *
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LastKnight

Male Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:53 am

I found some more info on the series and the first pic.

Hopefully, it's just a bad photo shoot image and won't reflect the actual character. In my opinion he looks like a child for being a 22 year old. Neutral

Anyhow, here's the article hot off the BBC press. Enjoy:

BBC One unveils new Merlin drama
Screen grab from Merlin
Merlin's creators are hoping to attract a family audience

A host of stars including John Hurt, Michelle Ryan and Richard Wilson are set to appear in BBC One's latest Saturday night drama, Merlin.

The 13-part series follows the fabled friendship between the young wizard Merlin and Prince Arthur.

Bafta-winner Hurt will provide the voice of Merlin's mentor, the Great Dragon, while Bionic Woman star Ryan will play wicked sorceress Nimueh.

Newcomer Colin Morgan, 22, from Northern Ireland, takes the title role.

His previous television experience is limited to guest roles on Doctor Who and the Catherine Tate Show.

However, he has made a name for himself in the West End with critically acclaimed roles in Vernon God Little and All About My Mother.

'Youthful look'

It is hoped the tale will appeal to young and old audiences alike - much like Doctor Who, which occupies a similar slot in the schedules.

BBC Wales' Head of Drama Julie Gardner, also an executive producer on Doctor Who, said: "In this new version, Merlin and Arthur are young contemporaries for the first time ever, bringing a much loved tale to a whole new generation with a fresh, youthful new look and approach for Saturday nights."

The drama is set in a time before Arthur becomes king, as Merlin comes to terms with his magical powers.

Santiago Cabrera, who played Isaac Mendez in Heroes, will take the role of Lancelot and up-coming actress Angel Coulby stars as Guinevere.

Oscar-winning visual effects team The Mill, who were behind Doctor Who and the Gladiator, are producing the series' computer generated imagery.

The show is currently being filmed in Wales and France.

Last edited by LastKnight on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken-A-Dale

Male Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 am

I found the press release for Merlin online here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2008/07_july/23/merlin.shtml Strangely enough, it has the same pic as the one Last Knight posted. I guess that's the image they're using to promote it. Suspect

Read for yourself:

Merlin's secrets revealed

Category: TV Drama; BBC One; Wales
Date: 23.07.2008
Printable version

Merlin is a thrilling fantasy drama set to enchant family audiences in a brand new 13-part series on BBC One this September.

Every Saturday night audiences are destined to experience a series of magical adventures, as they follow the unlikely friendship of a would-be wizard (Merlin) and the future King (Prince Arthur).

The drama brings together a cast of acclaimed British actors (Richard Wilson as Gaius, Anthony Head as King Uther Pendragon) as well as exciting new faces.

Colin Morgan is the young wizard Merlin, Bradley James is the arrogant but brave Prince Arthur, rising star Angel Coulby is Guinevere and newcomer Katie McGrath is Morgana.

Multi-award-winning actor John Hurt has just been cast as the Voice of the Great Dragon. Enigmatic and powerful, he alone knows Merlin's true destiny.

Julie Gardner, Head of Drama, BBC Wales, says: "In this new version, Merlin and Arthur are young contemporaries for the first time ever, bringing a much-loved tale to a whole new generation with a fresh, youthful new look and approach for Saturday nights this autumn on BBC One.

"I am thrilled to announce John Hurt has just been cast as the voice of the Great Dragon. He is Merlin's mythological mentor and the only dragon left with magic powers.

"It is an absolute privilege to be working with him, as he brings real gravity to the series, alongside a strong core cast and brilliant guests."

He will be joined by Heroes star Santiago Cabrera as Lancelot and Bionic Woman Michelle Ryan as the wicked sorceress Nimueh.

Further guest stars include Eve Myles (Torchwood, Doctor Who) as Mary Collins (episode one), Will Mellor (Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps) as Valiant (episode two) and Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing) as Edwin Muirden (episode five).

The eagerly anticipated series begins long before Arthur becomes King.

Arthur's father is Uther Pendragon, the tyrannical King of Camelot who has outlawed magic in the mythical city.

Gaius is the court physician who takes Merlin under his wing and helps guide him with his magical powers.

It's a rites of passage story which sees Merlin and Arthur on the cusp of adulthood both on their journey to greatness in a time before history began.

Merlin is created and produced by Shine Television the International Emmy Award-winning production team behind Hex and Sugar Rush Julian Murphy, Johnny Capps, Jake Michie and Julian Jones.

Johnny Capps, Shine Television, says: "It's a privilege to be given the opportunity to reinvent a classic British legend for this important family slot.

"We have a wonderful cast and fantastic locations, which we hope will bring alive the magic and myth of Camelot for a new audience."

Merlin is being filmed in Wales and France for transmission on BBC One in September.

Spectacular CGI effects are being created by The Mill, the Oscar-winning visual and special effects team behind Gladiator and Doctor Who.

BBC Executive Producers are Julie Gardner for BBC One and Bethan Jones for BBC Wales.

Merlin was commissioned by Jane Tranter, Controller, BBC Fiction.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SophieOfSherwood

Female Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:59 am

That's suppose to be MERLIN? affraid

John Hurt is a very talented, and excellent drama actor. Pity he's doing a voice and will not take a human role. :/

That was a very informative find LastKnight, if not a bit odd. the pic is annoying me.... call me a cynic, but I'm not tossing my 'Hoodie' for magic cereal yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SullyOfThe7Seas

Male Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:06 am

Ken-A-Dale wrote:
Arthur's father is Uther Pendragon, the tyrannical King of Camelot who has outlawed magic in the mythical city.[/b][/font]

Huh? Mad I had to read it five times just for it to sink in. Pray tell, what Arthurian source are they basing this on? I've never heard of such a thing! This is ridiculas and the idea that they're putting the attention on Merlin instead of Arthur with having them around the same age is absurd! Thank you BBC, just what the doctor ordered, yet another King Arthur revision to add to the increasing dusty shelf of films and series that in no shape or form reflect what the stories of King Arthur should be. Rolling Eyes And I couldn't end off this post without making a comment about 'The Great Dragon'! Are they serious? It's all such a bad joke. It's actually distasteful. You think they would have a little more respect for the people's hard paid taxes. Pity.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JordanSkywalker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:12 am

Is it just me or does Camelot behind Merlin (I'm presuming that's what the castle is) look like Neuschwanstein? Laughing I wonder how they can afford to make a CG dragon and get John Hurt to voice him with enough cash left over to make computer generated backgrounds and the imaginable countless magic effects required for this type of series? Interesting to say the least. Merlin looks a bit like a Harry Potter, so maybe that's the route they wanted to go? If so, I think they did it. silent

Admin

Male Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:16 am

I'll admit, the casting choices are unusual. The uncommon use of making Merlin and Arthur the same age is mind bending. The story seems to be a revisionist take, and I'm not fully able to recognize where in Arthurian Legend the main plot is being taken from....

Still, it's stated, the aim of this series is to create a 'new take' on the tale. It's encouraging to see a new show coming out that will deal with Arthur, Merlin and Camelot. I'm slightly disappointed the creators have chosen to disband Arthur being raised without any knowledge of his birthright, as I think that's really the framework of his beginning as a character. I'm hopeful when more info is revealed, echos of Arthuriana will start to sound. Could still be a bright new series. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrinceJason

Male Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:22 am

Oh no. I'm disappointed. I was all geared for a new Camelot. Should have figured this would have to be another revisionist take. It seems that type of thing is getting extremely popular. I'd sure wish they would have cast John Hurt as Merlin instead and did the traditional approach to Merlin tutoring a young Arthur concept. So far, I'm not impressed to be honest. The pic says a whole lot, but nothing reads 'Merlin' to me. I could accept this guy as some new wizard character in a Medieval setting.... but Merlin?! Please no. Make it stop. ~ Jason
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SirVancelot

Male Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:30 am

Yes, the castle does resemble Neuschwanstein.

* extremely worried *

No

Many of the things listed in those articles concerns me greatly. pale

Camelot being listed as a 'mythical town'? Neutral Prince Arthur instead of King Arthur? Who is this Ganis fellow? Loads of unanswered questions at this point.

OPTIMISTIC APPROACH: Perhaps they leaked out a poorly photoshoped image in hopes of keeping the series under cover?

REALISTIC APPROACH: This is the real deal and it's awful.

My gut tells me I can trust the latter. Sad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaliburnRider

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:38 am

Quote :
Further guest stars include Eve Myles (Torchwood, Doctor Who) as Mary Collins (episode one), Will Mellor (Two Pints Of Lager And A Packet Of Crisps) as Valiant (episode two) and Julian Rhind-Tutt (Green Wing) as Edwin Muirden (episode five).

Guys, did you catch that?! 'Valiant' is a character! I think it might be Prince Valiant! Very Happy bounce

So far, I'm giving it a fair chance. Robin Hood was different and a lot of people got upset over the costumes not being accurate to the time and some stuff being more modern. Personally, I can't wait to see what this is like. Merlin has always been a big favorite fiction character for me (even outside of LOPV's version) so I'm applauding the makers for trying to revive the legends for a new generation. The picture isn't totally like the Merlin we know, but we need to realize he's young here and not the old guy Merlin usually is in stuff. This could still be good, it might just be a different take. It sounds like story of banning magic and everything is well thought out for making it up. I'm surprised to note that Lancelot is in this. I mean he doesn't enter the story until after Arthur is King..... I guess that's just part of the new take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrincessLeah

Female Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:14 pm

A character named 'Valiant'? This is interesting.... Very Happy I wonder if he will in fact be Prince Valiant. Since the series is a true revisionist tale, it could well be the creator team is borrowing from many sources. I'm looking forward to seeing exactly what this has in store. Might be a fun new take.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrinceJason

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:31 pm

If the release is in September, there should be a trailer appearing online soon. Keep your fingers crossed. No matter how bad of an adaption this turns out to be, at least it's something new to watch and discuss. ~ Jason
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ken-A-Dale

Male Number of posts : 32

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:56 am

Right, a trailer should be on the way. I'll keep a look out. Everybody who checks for news on the net remember to share any info you find on the series here. I believe Merlin will be taking the Doctor Who spot and start sometime in early September. Not long to wait. It's exciting to think we'll know what it's all about soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SavageDamsel

Female Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:43 pm

SullyOfThe7Seas wrote:
Huh? Mad I had to read it five times just for it to sink in. Pray tell, what Arthurian source are they basing this on? I've never heard of such a thing! This is ridiculous and the idea that they're putting the attention on Merlin instead of Arthur with having them around the same age is absurd! Thank you BBC, just what the doctor ordered, yet another King Arthur revision to add to the increasing dusty shelf of films and series that in no shape or form reflect what the stories of King Arthur should be. Rolling Eyes And I couldn't end off this post without making a comment about 'The Great Dragon'! Are they serious? It's all such a bad joke. It's actually distasteful. You think they would have a little more respect for the people's hard paid taxes. Pity.

I can actually agree with most of what Sully is saying here. The concept of this series seems very off-beat. It makes little to no sense to place the story during Merlin's youth, while interjecting Arthur, Lancelot and Guinevere as same age contemporaries. It sounds as if they have handed Uther Pendragon the role of Vortigern from the Merlin tales. There are really plenty enough characters from Merlin's early life, which could have been used in place of the usual Arthurian bunch. I think it's odd so many 'revisionist versions' keep popping up, when a 'faithful' take on Arthurian Legend hasn't really been made... scratch
Back to top Go down
View user profile
PrinceJason

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:37 pm

I've been surfing the web for Merlin, and all I came up with was that the Valiant character is only in one episode (number 2). Besides that nothing. I expect the trailer to come out any day now.... About a month to go.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LadyLindseyofTheLake

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:38 pm

I thought I heard somewhere a U.S. network like NBC or ABC was going to pick up the series? Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction? Question
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LastKnight

Male Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:41 pm

Yes, it's NBC. Depending on what site you visit it seems the release date gets confused. On one it said Winter 2008 and on another 09. Looks like those of us in the USA anxious to see the series will have to use those other methods. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
View user profile
JordanSkywalker
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:44 pm

I was checking out some blogs and someone kindly screencaped the logo for Merlin: It may be work in progress Question The blogger said they captured it from the last episode of "Dr. Who", where they announced Merlin was coming out. No footage was shown, just the title.

Female Number of posts : 13

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:46 pm

Very Happy The title logo looks fantastic!!!! Like a Star @ heaven The colors are perfect! I'm so excited over this series. You can just tell the quality going into the production! Thanks for posting Jordan! I love you
Back to top Go down
View user profile
CaliburnRider

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:48 pm

Kinda plain, but I like the glowing effect. I wonder if Merlin is going to have opener scenes before the theme song like Robin hood? I keep thinking of Merlin as being a Robin Hood sister show. Laughing Must be that BBC connection which both share.

K i r k
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SophieOfSherwood

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:50 am

LoL @ Kirk Laughing I certainly hope Merlin is like a sister show to Robin Hood, that would be excellent! Very Happy Although, I have to confess I do love The Legends of Sherwood 3% more than Arthurian Legends. Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LadyLindseyofTheLake

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:49 pm

LastKnight wrote:
Yes, it's NBC. Depending on what site you visit it seems the release date gets confused. On one it said Winter 2008 and on another 09. Looks like those of us in the USA anxious to see the series will have to use those other methods. Twisted Evil

Thanks for confirming Brandon. Very Happy I expect NBC will be late in airing the series too. I guess other methods are pretty popular, I myself am fond of them. Twisted Evil Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NeonKnight

Male Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:14 pm

The title logo is cool, high 5 for finding that Jordan. Cool Merlin is definitely a character of interest. Learning about the boy before he became a famed wizard has positional for a series. Having Uther as an anti-magic king is a bit way out, but i guess he never was a total hero or anything in legends. i think putting Merlin and Arthur in the same age zone is kinda cool...not sure how it will play out. have to wait and see.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   

Back to top Go down

Merlin (2008) - BBC Series
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Legends Live Forever  :: Legends Live Forever :: Medieval Mania-
Jump to: