Legends Live Forever
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fans of The Legend of Prince Valiant & Robin Hood!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Merlin (2008) - BBC Series

Go down 
+13
NeonKnight
LadyLindseyofTheLake
SavageDamsel
PrincessLeah
PrinceJason
JeffOfCamelot
SullyOfThe7Seas
SophieOfSherwood
Ken-A-Dale
LastKnight
SirVancelot
CaliburnRider
JordanSkywalker
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
SullyOfThe7Seas

SullyOfThe7Seas

Male Number of posts : 21
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:13 am

The lack of news on Merlin is making me wonder if it was canceled? Could be for the best I suppose. I wasn't impressed with the offbeat casting choices. Perhaps the series suffered bad first reactions with test audiences and is now being reworked? I can only hope this is the case. No press or media on a show being released less than a month away is a clear sign BBC is either doing poor marketing or having difficulties with the final product. At this stage we should have saw a trailer by now. Question
Back to top Go down
JeffOfCamelot
Admin
JeffOfCamelot

Male Number of posts : 30

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 1:52 am

I wouldn't count the series canceled, Sully. It's probably more of a case of keeping things under wraps than pulling from production. Maybe the trailer will hit BBC (and YouTube) this week...You never know, here's hoping. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NeonKnight

NeonKnight

Male Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 5:18 pm

shouldn't BBC be trying to build up hype for this, and not go silent? i mean, don't they want a fan base? you sure can't get a fan base by cutting off any news, not releasing pics or even a 10 second preview. Rolling Eyes is it coming out still or not? i dunno... it just seems like there should be something out by now. Suspect
Back to top Go down
SirVancelot

SirVancelot

Male Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 5:27 pm

To be honest this version of Camelot depresses me. It could have been decent if they based it off the true legends but instead they went for Prince Arthur and Harry Potter stylized Merlin with Guinevere and Lancelot being foreign. Also the talking dragon makes me think of Quest for Camelot. silent A major turn-off. Until some news comes around, I can't think of much else to say on the subject.
Back to top Go down
PrinceJason

PrinceJason

Male Number of posts : 36

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 5:42 pm

NBC has an official site up for Merlin!... Only there's nothing new on it other than some pics of a few cast members (B&W face shots we've already seen) and a cast list. Sleep

Go here if you have to see it to believe it, but like I said, nothing to see: http://www.nbc.com/Primetime/Merlin/
Back to top Go down
SophieOfSherwood

SophieOfSherwood

Female Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 17, 2008 6:17 pm

I clicked it out of boredom Jason. You're right nothing to call home about. Rolling Eyes Angel Coulby as Guinevere is annoying me to no end. It feels so wrong. I'm still hoping this series will pull through the weak casting and fairly awful storyline, and exceed my current low expectations...... geek
Back to top Go down
UtherBendragon

UtherBendragon

Male Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 20, 2008 12:30 am

Still no news or trailer. bounce

I'm not too happy about the blackmailing of Uther Pendragon's character as a anti-magic king who will probably more of less fill the baddie role in the show. I realize Uther isn't always the best person, but hey he's Arthur's dad, and usually that kinda demands some respect. Still, no matter how unsatisfactory Merlin proves to be, I'll hand it one thing...It'll be something to watch. What a Face
Back to top Go down
LastKnight

LastKnight

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 21, 2008 11:11 pm

I agree... Making Uther a baddie seems wrong. I'm holding out for him to be one of those characters that turns good as the series goes on.

Not much news today. I thought for sure we'd be seeing a trailer for Merlin about now.

In the meantime, I'm still trying to get my Knights of The Round Table RPG together again. I've changed servers a few times and now that I've taken such a long break it's difficult to know how to get going again. A restart has to be the hardest part of any game.
Back to top Go down
UtherBendragon

UtherBendragon

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 12:00 am

I hear you Brandon, I hear you.... RPGs are like that. You know, you put blood sweat and tears into making them happen. It takes forever to get sites built, the colors right, the images loading quick enough, much less the time and mental strain it takes to get a decent cast together, and some type of plot people can understand. The rules drive you crazy, you wake up in the middle of the night, and realize everything you thought was settled has a major glitch.

Finally (and this is a big 'if') when everything is sorted, you have to make a crucial decision of 'where to start'. Then usually you spend a few days posting, have to throw out a character or the last one you added is a total nightmare, causing the game to fall into limbo. Then that dreaded word 're-start' rears it's ugly head. pale

Anyhow, I'm rambling, but when you've lived the life of a Game Master it's easy to ramble. bom Here's hopin' you get it worked out. Need any advice, let me know. You've had some amazing moments in your games, so keep at it. What a Face

As for Merlin.... Sleep
Back to top Go down
CaliburnRider

CaliburnRider

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 6:31 pm

Back to top Go down
JeffOfCamelot
Admin
JeffOfCamelot

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 7:07 pm

Finally! Wow Kirk, great! Thanks so much for posting! cheers
Back to top Go down
Skywalking

Skywalking

Female Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 29, 2008 9:18 pm

Oh Awesome! *watches obsessively!*
Back to top Go down
http://www.fisher_queen.livejournal.com
LadyLindseyofTheLake

LadyLindseyofTheLake

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 pm

I think Morgana looks good. The King is interesting as well... It has a fantasy/medieval/sci-fi look to the production. Not sure about the dragon talking, but should be entertaining. Exclamation
Back to top Go down
NeonKnight

NeonKnight

Male Number of posts : 22

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 31, 2008 8:02 pm

High 5 Kirk! thanks for posting the trailer link man!

like i said, i think it kinda cool to make Arthur and Merlin in same age zone, i don't think it's ever been done before. From the brief exchange between them, you can see the dynamics in play. Since Merlin is known as 'the greatest wizard of all time' tossing him into a kingdom, who's king is banning magic is a cool concept. Some of the other characters are confusing me, but all that aside the trailer shows some major cool potential. The changing eye color was awesome. Razz
Back to top Go down
PrinceJason

PrinceJason

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:25 pm

The trailer makes me excited for the series! The part where Merlin's eyes change color was right out of "Eragon" (I liked it too Mark) The CG effects look slick for something direct-to-TV. The acting is surprisingly convincing for a fantasy.
Back to top Go down
LastKnight

LastKnight

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:28 pm

Cool trailer. Cool

The release date is September 27th in The UK. I'll definitely be watching this.
Back to top Go down
SullyOfThe7Seas

SullyOfThe7Seas

Male Number of posts : 21

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:36 pm

First thoughts after viewing the preview... No trace of Sir Thomas Malory, Geoffrey of Monmouth or T. H. White. Instead you get the feeling of a Medieval-style "Harry Potter" want-a-be with "Dr. Who" camera angles. Just because a series has to fill a time slot doesn't mean it should be copied. This series appears to have stolen from "Star Wars", the previous mini-series, "Merlin" (and the reject sequel) as well as a number of other things (already mentioned the most obvious, "Harry Potter").
Back to top Go down
CaliburnRider

CaliburnRider

Male Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 pm

I heard the creators thought up Merlin as big fans of Smallville. So it kinda makes sense the approach they're taking when you think of it like that. At least to me it does.
Back to top Go down
JordanSkywalker
Admin
JordanSkywalker

Male Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2008-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:39 pm

Anyone else think the dragon looks like Aladar from Dinosaur? Laughing
Back to top Go down
https://legendsliveforever.forumotion.com
SirVancelot

SirVancelot

Male Number of posts : 24

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 12:50 pm

Back to top Go down
ShieldMaiden

ShieldMaiden

Female Number of posts : 9

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 01, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks Vance! I love you It's nice to get a glimpse of the characters!
Back to top Go down
SophieOfSherwood

SophieOfSherwood

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 6:50 pm

CaliburnRider wrote:
The trailer is out!!! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPxq3myiQF0

I just watched the trailer (Thanks Kirk!!!) Shocked Well for one thing Merlin looks far different from Robin Hood in terms of production. Robin Hood had a very slake modern realism look V.S. a more more blended new age fantasy look. I see Merlin as a cross between Narnia and maybe Harry Potter... This is actually a good thing, as I love fantasy and I didn't really want a re-make of RH. Looking forward, and keen to see it! sunny

BTW: Awesome find Vance! Thanks. Off to watch the profiles.
Back to top Go down
LastKnight

LastKnight

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

The profiles were interesting! Thanks for sharing Vance. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
PrinceJason

PrinceJason

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptyWed Sep 03, 2008 7:01 pm

I have a feeling I'm really going to love this show by the looks of it. Smile
Back to top Go down
JeffOfCamelot
Admin
JeffOfCamelot

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 07, 2008 2:52 pm

SirVancelot wrote:
More news!

Official site up with videos, wallpaper and more goodies: http://www.bbc.co.uk/merlin/

I came upon the character profiles on YouTube for outside u.k. viewing:

Merlin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWWsrb-6im4

Arthur
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46H4RLJaEug

Uther
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsxGvEkl-KM

Gaius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gISarZovYI

Gwen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8KdrzGuttE

Morgana
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=460_2dlr0A4

cheers The profiles are great Vance! They remind me of my old favorite PC game, 'Castle Explorer' Laughing I still find the casting and story to be a bit confusing at times in terms of Arthurian Legend, but since the creators admitted they are fully aware of this, I think a 'new' take is what was desired anyhow. Despite my own prejudices of what version of legend I prefer, I'm looking forward to this exciting and fresh take on the timeless world of Camelot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Merlin (2008) - BBC Series   Merlin (2008) - BBC Series - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Merlin (2008) - BBC Series
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Legends Live Forever  :: Legends Live Forever :: Medieval Mania-
Jump to: